Partners Camp is for the brothers and sisters of children who have experienced cancer. It was started in 1984 and has served thousands of children since. It is the only program of its kind in Michigan! Partners Camp gives siblings their own week of carefree and action-packed summer camp, in the company of fellow campers who share and understand their unique experiences with cancer.
Siblings of children with cancer have emotional needs, too. Often a sibling can feel the need for attention, but then feel guilty for wanting it. Siblings may find it hard for others to understand the trauma of losing a brother or sister to cancer. Special Days recognizes these unique needs.
A week with the Partners Camp program mirrors the Special Days Camp program. Siblings participate in all the same activities guilt-free, while their brother or sister gets to spend some quality one-on-one time at home with the parents.
Activities There are many activities that are available for campers to experience. Regardless of age or ability, there is definitely something for everyone at Special Days. Here are some camp favorites:
- Water World: swimming, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, playing on the popular blue mat
- Beach time: volleyball, building sandcastles, treasure hunts, tether ball, ga-ga
- Relaxation: around the campfire, in the cabin, at the hammocks
- Group Activities: capture the flag, All Camp games, dances, karaoke, movies
- Challenges: high ropes, low ropes, zip lining, archery, nature classes
- Winter Activities: sledding, cross country skiing, campfires, crafts, dances, broomball
- Connection: long lasting friendships, expanding comfort zones, learning new things